Norah's Story

Monday, August 14, 2017

What I've Learned this Summer....

I know, I know, I know....it's been a LONG time since I've posted.  Life gets busy!  We are all doing well.  Kids go back to school tomorrow (woohoo!!).  Ceci promises she will not be sad, but I think she will miss the bigs for sure!

Anyway, I have done a lot of soul searching in the last several months.  After nine years of being a full time stay at home mom, I have been feeling lonely, bored, and tired of all that comes with that title.  Don't get me wrong, I have LOVED being home with these kids.  I have LOVED being their caretaker, but some days I feel like there might be more for me out there.  I think the life we have experienced in the last 4-5 years has opened my eyes to living.  When you have been close to death, your perspective on living changes greatly. 

Did God give me extra chances at this life to continue to be a stay at home mom?  Does He want me to go back to work as a teacher to share my story with others and shape young minds?  Do I look for a new career?  Do I start volunteering more?  Do I go back to school?

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to any of those questions right now.  But I have taken a few steps to getting back into teaching in the classroom to see if that is where I am feeling led.  I took a class this summer!  First time I've done that in 15 years....and it was actually really great.  I learned a TON and quickly remembered what it felt like to be a student--one that is a perfectionist when it comes to school work.  I learned about Flipped Classrooms, App Smashing, Twitter in education, and tons of other ways to incorporate technology in the classroom! 
And if I didn't have a 2 year old, I may consider going back and taking more, but it was super hard to accomplish much with my three kids around this summer.  In the end, I got an A and my teaching certificate will be coming out of the expired ranks soon!

I decided the best way to see if I want to go back to teaching is to actually teach.  I got hired as a Substitute in the Webster Groves School District where my kids go and will pick up a day or two a week.  I'm hoping to get into some of the music classrooms and see if I can remember anything!  And the greatest thing about this gig is that I can say no if I don't want to work on a particular day.  I'm not quite ready to leave Ceci full time.  I still want to experience daily life with her, but this seems to be a good compromise for the time being. 

Prayers to everyone for a great start to the school year!  You can pray for me too:)

No comments: