Norah's Story

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Life's Not Fair

More and more every day I feel like I am hearing about tragedy.  A woman I used to work with is on hospice, another woman I have been reading about that is connected to my old school has stage 4 breast cancer and has four young children.  A friend of Greg's family passed away too young yesterday after a very brief battle with cancer.  I feel inundated with these type of stories and am immediately brought back to my own sad reality.  Life is so not fair. 

God does not promise us that we will not suffer here on this earth, but He does promise to take care of us through those times.  Aside from my family and friends, God has just held me in the palm of His hands, especially this week when I so long for Norah.  I long for her to be born on Friday and to join our family.


But you, God, see the trouble of the afflicted;
    you consider their grief and take it in hand.
The victims commit themselves to you;
    you are the helper of the fatherless. (Psalm 10:14)
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hi, we don't know each other... I found you through another blog, and I can't remember which one. I am so sorry your sweet Norah isn't in your arms right now. I'm not a baby loss mama, but I've been having a hard time - nothing like what you're dealing with, but I wanted to thank you for sharing James 1:2-4. It just hit me right in the heart, reminding me that the Lord does know what He's doing, struggle though we may to follow along. You blessed me.

Secondly, I was five when my baby sister Sharon died. She had trisomy 18, but it was in 1979, so we had no warning.. Just premature labor and an emergency c/s for my Mom. None of us saw her, Mom was afraid she wouldn't look quite right and wanted to remember her as a beautiful baby, so her wishes were honored. She regrets that now. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that the few memories I have, of Mom being pregnant, a tiny sweater I've kept and dressed both my dolls and my own children in, her funeral, her tiny casket, they are all so precious to me. I always call Mom on Sharon's birthday, and we talk about how old she'd be, what would it be like to have her in our lives. Norah will always be a beloved and missed and thought of baby sister. She will enrich the relationship you share with her sister and brother. I'm so sorry it won't be the way you dreamed, but I just want to assure you she will still have her place in your family.