Norah's Story

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Lessons learned from Walt Disney

We made it back from our trip!  It was exhausting and super fun and very magical.  Greg and I were trying to figure out when we even mentioned going to Disney.  I think it was the week I was in the hospital...I remember telling him that I had to be gone on April 26, and he mentioned Disney.  Never thought we would make it to spring, but here we are.

I am having a bit of Disney let-down.  We are home now.  There are mounds of laundry.  Everything has to be put away.  I need to switch out the winter clothes for summer clothes.  We are back to a schedule and this is a busy week to come back to!  As we turned onto our street on Saturday night, I told Greg how excited I was to be home to see Norah's tree in our front yard.  It didn't grow while we were gone, but just the fact that it was there and I can see it out my window makes me happy!  My sweet neighbor watered it for me and even put mulch around the bottom while we were gone.

So many friends and family honored Norah on her would be birthday.  We got tons of cards in the mail, my bestie went to see her at the cemetery that day since we were on the road, another friend sent flowers and another sent a big gift bag all to our hotel in Disney. I got a beautiful bracelet with an angel wing from another friend.  I received countless emails, texts, and messages remembering us.  So, if you were one of those people.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart--your kindness is much appreciated!

Our trip served its purpose--a busy, memorable family vacation!  For a few moments, I was so wrapped up in the fun that I was able to put my situation in the back of my head.  I was just a mom on a trip with her hubby and kids.  No one around me knew why we were there or what our burdens were.  No one was dancing around the fact that we lost our baby girl and are healing from all that comes with that. I felt guilty a bit that I wasn't thinking about Norah as much as I should...there were a few times where I got teary and wished so much that we didn't have to take this trip.  But mostly I was teary because I am so thankful to be alive and to get more vacations and more weeks with my family!

I learned a few things from our visit to the Magical Kingdom (I already knew all of this, but the trip reminded me of them)....

1.  My kids are good kids--not perfect, but pretty darn good.  They were just a pleasure to be around.  They didn't throw fits, they listened.  It was just so much fun to be with them:)

2.  My husband is amazing!  He is just a big kid at heart, and he just adores being with his kids and spending every ounce of time he can with them.  When I took Maggie in to school yesterday, she told her teacher that one of her favorite parts was that Daddy got to be with her the whole week, every day and didn't have to go to work!

3.  I know Disney has had many years to perfect the theme park experience, but they have it down.  Everyone who works there is friendly and kind.  They have 66,000 employees (I learned that on our river cruise)! 

4.  This is not the kind of vacation I want every year, but it was perfect for this year.  We got up early every day to make it to the park by opening time.  We pushed the kids past their limit, but they did amazing!  Next year, I'm thinking beach:)

5.  God is good all the time.  I was thinking about all these people that were walking Main Street in the Magic Kingdom.  It was crowded....thousands of people.  I didn't know any of their circumstances but God does.  He knows all of our hearts....I am thankful that He is healing mine one day at a time.

We took thousands of pictures.....here are just a few.







1 comment:

cherishjord said...

I share your sentiment! Disney this year, the beach next! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. I love your Norah tree.